Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween Magic





As the weather got colder and the days got shorter and the icy winds blew autumn leaves past my feet as I strolled the dark grey streets of London, it was more than apparent than Halloween was just around the corner.  But alas, I am no longer in Halloween territory.

I tried to round up some friends for an evening outing to an atmospheric english cemetery, telling scary stories by candlelight.  No takers.  I know I'm ridiculous, and I recognize that most people are not.

Luckily Jelena and I were able to go to a candlelit screening of Nosferatu (1922) in the old Union Chapel in Islington.  It was very cool, very gothic, very halloweeny.  But as we walked out of the church at the end of the film, our jaws dropped as big white snow flakes fell gently upon our faces.  It was pure magic!  A snowstorm in October!  

We found out the next day that it was the first October snow to hit London in over 70 years.  So while it was not the Halloween magic I was searching for, it was a great big slice of halloween magic nonetheless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

" I know I'm ridiculous, and I recognize that most people are not." - Respectfully disagree my friend. Most people ARE ridiculous, only in different ways.

Californians elected a Z-list film star as a governor and let Proposition 8 passed - I call that RIDICULOUS :D.

Trent said...

:-)