Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pop Punk & Spoken Word in Shoreditch



Well, my sweet-motha'-of-a-friend Susan took me to the Old Blue Late, a bar owned by Vice Magazine in Shoreditch, for the Japanther concert on Sunday night. It was my third consecutive concert night, and a bad decision for my studies, but how could I say no to Susan and free music and Shoreditch? These are all really good things. Her ex is a music producer/promoter, who actually put out Japanther's album, and so she was on the guest list and got us in for free.

There was some weird spoken word delivered by a sweaty gentlemen of a certain age, to the soundtrack of Japanther and a flute. It was unique, and kind of the highlight of the evening. Also, the first mosh pit I've seen in  a long time. I thought those had become totally unfashionable in the age of the polite and soft-spoken hipster?

This week has gotten crazy busy for me between school and the newspaper and poor decision making. I want to have a torrid affair in the streets of London. I want to move to a cabin in the woods, drink wine over candlelight, and write a novel about said affair. I want something to hold onto. I want someone to hold onto. I want London to rock my world again this week.

2 comments:

Jordan Soet said...

No mosh pits since the 90s? Um, hello, don't you remember ACF? I guess not, since you were asleep on the hill for most of it. And was that guy doing the spoken word thing at all comprehensible in real life? Because on the video it just sounds like gibberish... Although he does look like he's reading something...?

Finally, you can do it Trent! If anyone can, you can! Just think of all the preparation you did over the past year (before your job) when you were sitting around at home all the time watching movies! And by preparation, what I mean is charging your batteries so as not to get burnt out ;) No really, though, you can do it.

Trent said...

Yes, I have seen lots of mosh pits, haven't I. I may have even participated in a few (aka. hot chip). So I will instead say the first mosh pit in a long time. Since the summer?

I'm a loser. Thanks for your support.